Thursday, June 20, 2013

Choose-Your-Own-Adventure Single-Serving Protein Pancake and Sauce

To cure my sweet tooth in the evening I sometimes make my main course a giant protein pancake... mmm! (With a giant side of greens, of course...).  Here's the thing: it's different every time I make it, sometimes it's flips in one piece, sometimes it falls apart, the flavor/texture can vary.  But, in the end it tastes good. This really is a choose-your-own-adventure sort of experiment to find out what you like and create just the right thing for you that day.  Amounts of ingredients greatly vary, for example, all flours are not made equal.  For example, coconut flour absorbs WAY more liquid than other flours, etc.  So, give this a try (choosing your own adventure)...




Choose-Your-Own-Adventure-Pancake-

I usually pick 1-2 flours/nut meals and maybe shredded coconut and/or ground flax.  I always add 2-3 eggs for protein. I tweak the amount of spices, flavorings, stevia for the day.  Also, I add whatever amount of water or milk (I only use water if I don't have any milk) to bring it to the best pancake batter consistency.  I will list what ingredients I usually choose from, but you can try your own as well...


Flours and such...

  • coconut flour
  • oat flour (or rolled oats if you are putting this in a blender, or you could even keep the oats whole!)
  • ground almonds (almond meal or almond flour)
  • ground flax seeds
  • garbanzo flour
  • shredded coconut
  • protein powder
  • What else?

Spices/flavorings...
  • stevia
  • cinnnamon
  • nutmeg
  • green cardomon 
  • vanilla extract
  • almond extract
  • cocoa powder
  • carob powder
  • What else?

Remember!...
  • 2-3 eggs and milk or milk substitute (or water if you don't have milk)

Optional toppings to sprinkle in or on...
  • cocoa nibs
  • cinnamon
  • pumpkin seeds
  • sunflower seeds
  • walnuts
  • shredded coconut
  • What else?

I will give you a very rough idea of what measurements I might include (Disclaimer: I have never once actually measured for this recipe): 1/3 cup ground almonds, 1-2 tbs coconut flour, 1 tbs shredded coconut, sprinkle of cinnamon and nutmeg, 2 eggs, 1/3-1/2 cup milk, stevia to taste, pinch of salt, and a couple drops of vanilla extract.

I usually whisk the eggs first but actually I find it better sometimes to mix dry flours together first.  This allows me to first work the lumps out of the flours.  Make it easy for yourself, just mix it all together with a fork!

While you're preparing your batter get your pan heated on medium. Add about a tablespoon of coconut oil (or other oil you use).  Make sure the pan and oil is nice and hot and pour all the batter in the pan.  I make an amount of pancake batter that fits perfectly in the entire pan.  That way, even if the consistency doesn't allow them to form into perfect circles it will stop on the edges of the pan to cook.

While the pancake is cooking start putting together your choose-your-own-adventure sauce (see below).

After pancake has bubbles coming through top, check that bottom is cooked well and flip it all together if you feel it will stay together reasonably.  If you realize your ingredient combination will not hold it together, don't fret!  Simply cut it in 2 or 4 pieces with end of your spatula and turn the pieces individually.




Allow the other side to cook until the pancakes are cooked through and not mushy in the middle.
(See my lovely pancake below: it didn't flip perfectly but it tasted just great and that's what matters!)




Place it on a plate so it's ready for the sauce:


Choose-Your-Own-Adventure Sauce-

I like using coconut oil as a base for one of the richer sauces.  I'll give you an couple examples I've put together.

Dark Chocolate:
  • 1 square dark chocolate
  • approximately 1-2 tbs coconut oil
  • stevia
Sweet Vanilla Sunflower Seed:
  • 1 tbs sunflower seed butter
  • 1 tbs coconut oil
  • vanilla extract
  • stevia
Some other combinations you could play around with could include 1-2 tbs coconut oil along with...
  • nut butter of choice
  • cocoa powder
  • carob powder
  • maca powder
  • vanilla extract or other extract
  • stevia
  • cinnamon or sweet spice
  • or...?
I like to mix the ingredients together in a 1 cup measuring cup on low over the stovetop.  Mix well! 


You could also use something like a sugar-free cranberry sauce.


Now, take that sauce, drizzle it on your pancake and enjoy!

What combination did you come up with?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow Me on Pinterest